The University Choirs welcome singers of all levels or experience to perform, to grow as musicians, and to become part of the vibrant music community on campus.
- Symphonic Singers (MUSIC-267) is open to all students, and consists of 30-40 beginning and intermediate singers. Rehearsals focus on ear training, vocal techniques, and ensemble singing in a social atmosphere. No audition is required for participation, though a voice placement will be conducted. Rehearsals: MW 3:35pm - 5:00pm.
- Chamber Choir (MUSIC-269) is an auditioned choir of approximately 20 advanced singers and is the premiere vocal ensemble on campus. Singers tackle mostly unaccompanied music, and perform often on campus and beyond. Rehearsals: TR 4:10pm - 5:35pm.
- The Devil Tones Acappella is an auditioned group that performs unaccompanied covers of popular music, consisting of singers selected from Symphonic Singers and Chamber Choir. Rehearsals: Once per week (spring 2018: W 5:00pm - 6:00pm).
Symphonic Singers and Chamber Choir are offered as one-credit courses, which can be taken for three semesters and counted toward the general education (arts & humanities) requirement. After three semesters, students have the option to participate in choir for zero credit.
Each semester, Symphonic Singers and Chamber Choir perform together on one concert in Menomonie. Both ensembles also participate in the commencement ceremony every semester. Chamber Choir performs frequently in additional campus events, and is often invited to sing in the Menomonie community and beyond; past destinations include five cities in mainland China (2016) and to Puerto Rico (2022).
Devil Tones Acappella sometimes performs in the main semester concert, with the Blue Devil Jazz Project, and at other concert events in the Menomonie area.
Auditions for fall semester take place during move-in days (typically Labor Day, plus the following day). Auditions for spring semester take place during the last few weeks of fall semester, by appointment.
The process of auditions for Symphonic Singers, Chamber Choir, and the Devil Tones are the same. However, the purpose of the audition for Symphonic Singers is simply to find the voice part that suits you best — you can join no matter what. For Chamber Choir and the Devil Tones, the audition is an entrance requirement; also understand that there are limited openings in each voice part for Chamber Choir.
There are four parts within the 10-minute audition:
- Scale exercise
- Listen and repeat / Harmony singing (for Devil Tones)
- Unaccompanied singing (My Country ‘Tis of Thee, Silent Night, or Happy Birthday)
Please contact Dr. Jerry Hui, director of choral activities, for more information. email@example.com